For hardcore Keto diet followers, who love to consume proteins and avoid carbs, the Atkins diet plan has been interestingly one of the best diet options to opt for. Yes, the diet program has undergone a lot of change over a couple of years. But its unique factors that people love about are always kept intact. When it is about losing weight, many people follow this diet program. If you want to join the queue, please ensure that you have the insights into the Atkins diet pros and cons. Keep reading on and learn about the things to know about the pros and cons of following the diet.
Atkins Diet Pros and Cons
Eating fat is equal to losing weight
The conventional thinking about consuming fat being a way to gain weight is not a reality. Not at least when it is about the Atkins diet plan. In fact, the first thing that you need to know about Atkins diet pros and cons is consuming fats will help you lose weight. Yes, you read that right.
Fats, (especially the high-fat foods) like butter, cream, steak, and bacon, which are forbidden on a majority of low-calorie diets are the foods supposed to be consumed by people on strick Atkins diet plan. In fact, the diet program not just allows these food items but even encourages them.
Gives quick results
Following this particular eating plan will help people lose weight in an efficient and quick manner. During the diet program, people will be able to lose their weight in about two weeks. The diet studies so far hint at one report where it compared folks with people of a reputable diet association.
And in all significant manners, the ones following this diet plan showed results with more weight loss. They had reduced waist to the hip ratio, and triglycerides too. An increase in good cholesterol levels was also seen.
No unnecessary food cravings any longer
How many times have you thought that you could follow a diet plan only to end up having unnecessary food cravings and later closing the subject? Yes, those unnecessary food cravings are the reasons behind your unsuccessful diet program, for which you have never been able to be the lucky one to feel confident about losing weight.
Food cravings will cause you to gain unhealthy and unwanted weight. Following the eating plans via Atkins diet pros and cons will make those cravings surprisingly disappear. As a matter of fact, it does so by simply eliminating junk foods, including cookies, cakes, pasta, and even white bread from the adherent’s food options. Those foods will be digested quickly and leave you all the more hungry. No having such foods is the only option to stay healthy and stay away from food cravings which come more often.
Bad cholesterol level might increase in some people
Earlier, you already read how being familiar with Atkins diet pros and cons and following such a diet help you stay healthy and increase your good cholesterol level. But some people always find it pesky to witness an increase in their bad cholesterol level. But that, obviously, depends on person to person.
The best thing that you can do is visit a dietitian and ask about the Atkins diet plan. Only when he or she permits you to follow such a diet program, you take the complete advantage of it. Remember, following it without medical assistance might make the situation worse.
Foods to consume:
As already discussed, the Atkins diet plan includes lots and lots of fats. So, you should be including these foods in your diet plan.
- Meats: pork, Beef, chicken, lamb, bacon and more
- Fatty fish & seafood including trout, Salmon, sardines, and more
- Eggs including pastured or omega-3 enriched
- Low-carb veggies including spinach, kale, asparagus, and broccoli
- Full-fat dairies such as cheese, butter, cream, and even full-fat yogurt
- Nuts & seeds including almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds, and more
- Healthy fats including coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, avocados as well as avocado oil
- Include beverages like green tea, water, and coffee, and a bit of alcohol (but do not get tipsy!)
- You can perhaps also include dark chocolate and heavy cream
Food to exclude:
A significant factor that you should know about Atkins diet pros and cons is that it restricts you from consuming carbs. That’s why you should avoid foods like:
- Sugar including fruit juices, Soft drinks, candy, cakes, and ice cream
- Grains like wheat, rye, rice, and barley
- Vegetable oils including corn oil, Soybean oil, canola oil, cottonseed oil, and more
- Trans fats such as the ones found in processed foods. Check for the word ‘hydrogenated’ on ingredients lists
- ‘Diet’ & ‘low-fat’ foods, including these, are usually pretty much high in the sugar content.
- High-carb veggies such as turnips, carrots, and more
- High-carb fruits including bananas, oranges, apples, grapes, and pears
- Starches including potatoes and sweet potatoes
- Legumes including beans, Lentils, chickpeas, and more
A sample you can follow upon consulting with a medical professional
You can follow the sample menu, which is for one week
- Breakfast: Add breakfast like eggs, bacon, or veggies.
- Lunch: You can eat meals like chicken salad, Shrimp salad, meatballs, etc. in your lunch.
- Dinner: You get many options in dinner including beef stir fry, salmon and butter, pork chops, grilled chicken wings, and more.
In between your lunch and dinner, it is fundamental to have a snack. You can include one piece of cheese, leftovers, berries with cream, baby corns, nuts, and more during this time. Ensure that you follow this chart strictly. These are the things you required knowing about Atkins diet pros and cons.