Atkins Diet plan has witnessed many changes in recent times. This plan offers innumerable benefits which make it a perfect dietary plan for some. If you are planning to adopt this diet plan, you need to evaluate the pros and cons of this plan before starting your Atkins Diet. Read on to find many relevant details about this popular Atkins Diet plan.
Benefits of the Atkins Diet Plan
- Successful Weight Loss: Undoubtedly, Atkins Diet has a successful story when it comes to weight loss. According to statistics, many people have tasted success in reducing their body weight after enrolling themselves with the popular Atkins Diet plan. Many studies have confirmed the fact that Atkins Diet plan is highly effective for weight loss programs.
- Offer instant results: According to the users of the Atkins Diet plan, they have experienced significant weight loss in a quick time. This feature is witnessed during the introduction programs, and thereby the proponents are well motivated for this instant success.
- Simple to follow: In contrast with the other low-carb diet plans, Atkins Diet is considered to be an easy plan to follow. Though the plan suggests many calculations on carbohydrate intake foods, the program enables the users to eat the most common and acceptable food. Perhaps, this is one of the USPs of the Atkins Diet plan.
- Treat Gout effectively: Atkins Diet plan plays a significant role in treating the Gout, a condition of swelling joints. In general, gout is treated by reducing the levels of uric acid. Atkins Diet plan comes very handily as it reduces the levels of uric acid to a great extent. Perhaps this is one of the main reasons for the gout sufferers to go for the Atkins Diet program. Here, they are allowed to eat what was once forbidden for these gout patients.
- Enhanced Triglycerides: Researches have indicated that the intake of low-carbs can inevitably increase triglycerides, which in turn reduce the glucose level for diabetics as well as the pre-diabetes and also increase healthy cholesterol.
- Increased mental awareness: As per experts, the condition of low-carbs and high protein will usually increase the power of concentration. Users in such situations will have a lighter stomach and easier digestion. This condition will help people who show high tolerance to meat-based diets.
- Stamina improves: After the middle-phases of the Atkins Diet plan, one is sure to feel a significant lift in stamina levels. During this period, users will feel more relaxed with cardio, and one can able to lift more weights or to find more energy to play with kids. This is mainly because your body adjusts to burning fats for energy.
- Permission for the forbidden food: People, who have taken less tongue-conscious fat foods, can now enjoy such forbidden foods such as cream, butter, and steak. This feature attracts many people towards the Atkins Diet plan.
- No calorie counting: In contrast to the other dieting plans where your intake calories are counted, Atkins Diet plan allows you to watch only your net carb intake per day and not any calorie count. This is one of the appealing features of the Atkins Diet plan, and hence it gets more followers.
- Focus on Healthy Carbs: Atkins Diet forbids all refined carbohydrates such as baked food and encourages healthy carbs like green vegetables and fiber-rich berries. As a follower one can able to know the difference between good carbs and bad carbs.
Know the risks of Atkins Diet
Like a coin, the Atkins diet has two sides. Though it offers many tangible health and psychological benefits, it has some risk elements with it. For the sake of the readers, let us discuss here a few of these risks associated with the Atkins diet plan.
Poses many health disorders: Drastically cutting carbs during the first phase of this diet program can trigger some side effects such as :
- General weakness
Also, the lowering levels of carbohydrates (carbs) can result in nutritional deficiencies, and insufficient fiber can inevitably cause health issues, like diarrhea, nausea, and so on. Also, the lower levels of carbs can lead to Ketosis; a condition occurs due to low glucose levels, which can cause symptoms like diarrhea, nausea, bad breath, and so on.
Lower extent of vitamins and minerals: Atkins Diet programs allow its users to have a nutritionally- unbalanced diet through the intake of fewer vitamins and minerals. Hence nutritious items like fruits and salads are restricted, which will result in the deficiency of nutritional supplements to the body. Taking into account all these constraints, the modern Atkins diet programs suggest people consume a small amount of salt along with other items like vitamins and supplements. Also, an inadequate intake of vitamins and minerals may not assure a healthy body.
Poor cholesterol levels: Many nutritionists agree that the Atkins diet carries some risk elements despite its ability to restrict weight. According to them, the high consumption of animal fat is not suitable for maintaining cholesterol levels. Similarly, too much protein can harm the kidneys.
Regain weight: As per the Atkins Diet plans, instructions are given for constant workouts or exercises. This will eventually result in weight gain during the process and counterproductive to the purpose of the weight loss plan.
That said, now you are aware of what is the Atkins diet and it is not the diet plan for everyone.
More importantly, the Atkins Diet is not recommended for everyone. The program suggests everyone consult your doctor, especially if you are suffering from other health conditions like diabetes, hypertension, and under medications for such health disorders. Also, patients who are suffering from severe kidney diseases should stay away from this diet plan. This plan is not appropriate for pregnant and breastfeeding women